Alipurduar Municipal Town is situated on the east and north bank of Kaljani River which flows somewhere from North to south and somewhere from West to East within the town. The Nonai River bound the eastern side of this town while villages bound the northern side. After the Bhutan war in 1865, the Britishers took Duars region under their control and established headquarter at Buxa. From there, they shifted their headquarter to Falakata and thereafter to Alipurduar in 1876. This place was a small settlement of local tribes like Koch, Mech, Rabha and others. The name Alipurduar was derived from the name of the war hero Lt. Hedayat Ali of the British army who was engaged as the first administrator of the Duars region.
The climate of Alipurduar is swampy with heavy rainfall lasting from May to September. Heat is moderated but huidity makes it unco Municipal Fundortable. The winter is very strong as it is comparatively in the high altitude located at the fothills of the “duars”. The town is surrounded by deep forest and tea garden. While there are two rivers flowing across the town namely Kaljani and Nonai.
Alipurduar Municipality came into existence under the provision of the Bengal Municipal Act, 1932 on and from 7th February, 1957. Alipurduar covers an area of 8.98 sq kms. The Alipurduar Junction and New Alipurduar Station of the North East Frontier Railway are on the route between Sealdah and Dibrugarh. Alipurduar was a sub-divisional town of Jalpaiguri district. On 25th June, 2014, Smt. Mamata Banerjee, the Hon’ble Chief Minister, GoWB, declared Alipurduar as the 20th district of West Bengal.
Organogram of all departments